In the area where Colonel Conner defeated the Indians on Battle Creek (map) in 1863, a town was to rise as the Utah Northern Railroad progressed northward. Three men built houses there before the trains came. The first was built in 1877 by John Winn, the second by Joseph Winn, and the third by E. Brockway. The next year, 1878, the railroad reached Battle Creek, and the boom days began for the new town. In 1881 Battle Creek was a division point for the Utah Northern Railroad, and an eight-stall roundhouse and dwellings for the railroad employees were constructed. The town's population soon passed one hundred and continued to grow until 1886 when the railroad company moved its buildings to Idaho Falls. Then Battle Creek became just a deserted village.