Sarah Pidd

Written by Amy Walker

Sarah Pidd was born in Whoplode, Washroan, Linconshire England (map) on a Sunday in 1821. Her parents were Adonijah Pidd and Ann Forman Pidd. Sarah had a brother, William and two sisters, Elizabeth and Mary Ann, also a half brother, Thomas Proctor. Her father died when Sarah was small and her mother married again.

Her step-father, Thomas Procter, was very strict with his step-children, often even unkind. He had a large orchard but would never allow his step-children to eat any of the fruit and would punish them severely if he caught them taking any from the trees. Thus, they were glad when they became old enough to be bounded out. Sarah was bounded out for a seamstress and had a very fine teacher and mistress. While learning this trade she met the Mormon missionaries and began saving all her money to come to Utah, When her sister, Elizabeth, heard she was coming, she begged her to wait so she could come, also. While Sarah waited for her she made herself and sister many new clothes to bring with them.

Just as soon as Elizabeth had worked out her bond, the two sisters bought tickets to Utah. They bought their tickets right in England to go clear to Utah. So imagine their surprise after reaching Missouri on finding they had to walk most of the way across the plains.

The trip was very hard, but they did have some fun. Sarah told stories about the boys carrying the girls across the streams. They used to draw cuts to see who they should carry as there was one big fat girl. One day quite a small lad drew her to carry and he slipped in the center of the stream. Sarah said it was surely a big splash and they all had a hearty laugh.

Another time Sarah and Elizabeth walked for miles to a store and bought some cheese, but found it full of maggots. They picked them out and ate the cheese anyway.

When they finally reached Utah (Union Fort; see also Union Ward), Sarah went to work in one of the homes making clothing for the family while Elizabeth did house work. As they were both very young and having no relatives, life was pretty hard for them, as this was no Eden as they were expecting, Thus Sarah sent word to her sweetheart, whom she had left in England and who had intended to join her, not to come as he was not a Mormon and she knew without the religion there was nothing for him here.

After being knocked about for some time and treated very unkindly by the women, who feared their husbands might want them for another wife, Sarah finally married Joseph Griffiths in 1854, whose first wife, Ann, treated her kindly and begged her to become Joseph's second wife. He was a very kind man and never seemed to think that polygamy was right. He died six years later at the age of 55 (cemetery marker; Ed. Note: Joseph was actually about 43 when he died) leaving his two wives with their little children to raise. Sarah left her little girl, Lucy, and her little boy, George, with Ann while she went back to work sewing to make a living. George was scalded in some hot soap suds at the age of four so Sarah took Lucy with her from then on. Finally she went to work for William Smith. His first wife was dead and he had divorced the second as she was so cruel to his children. He asked Sarah to marry him as the children loved her so much, which she did in 1864, as the Griffiths boys were now old enough to work and take care of their mother.

November 5, 1868, twins, a boy and girl, were born to Sarah and William, but Isaac died when one month old and Sarah lived only until she was six (Ed Note: Sarah was almost 8 when she died. cemetery marker). Lucy grew up and married Hyrum Smith, her step-brother, and they took care of their mother, Sarah, after William died (family picture). Sarah lived a long life of 85 years and died in 1910 having six grandchildren and several great grandchildren, a very dear and lovable old lady.

Genealogy Collection provided by:
Becky S. Porter, 2493 S. Hulls Crossing, Preston, Idaho 83263

E-Mail: Roland K. Smith